Friday, February 01, 2008

Developing A Preaching Calendar Part 2

With these first few posts I want to set a little foundation before we start getting into the practicalities of developing a preaching calendar.

I think one of the first challenges is that some people get stuck on in developing a one year plan is that they feel it takes God out of the equation. These are the people who think that they must seek God this week for the "Word" He wants to speak to their church. They believe that they must walk by faith and hear from God.

This may sound a little brash, but I think you are actually walking in less faith. Don't get me wrong, I didn't say no faith. I think it takes some bold faith to sit down and plan out a year seeking God for what He wants you to speak about 12 months from now.

I do believe it all comes down to the organizational aspect of it. Many pastors are challenged on that side and get stuck in the tyranny of the next week. When you are in that routine it is hard to put the brakes on and plan for a whole year much less seven days.

Can we establish at least one thing though? Isn't it possible that God can work through one man or a team to lay it on their heart what He needs them to say in 12 months? Doesn't God see the 12 months from now and who is going to be listening and what they need to hear?

Of course the answer is yes. So lets lay down the whole faith excuse and really say that we are either unorganized or not disciplined enough to do it.

"Hold on Jason...what happens if I get to October and feel God is changing it?" Then you call an audible and go with it.

Friends it is about faith and as a communicator it is about relationship with God and hearing Him speak.

As a little side note: I'm not saying you are writing your message one year out. Just laying out a plan which we will get more into in other posts.

Catch up with all of the parts of this series:
To not miss any of our helpful posts - make sure you subscribe to our feed.

For more on a message plan you can read - Message Prep System and Advice to a Young Communicator

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on all of this. It does take more faith to plan out all your teaching for a year. And God can change what you have planned out. Last year I had my whole calendar planned out, but when I got to November God changed what I had planned. As you go throughout the year you still have to listen to God's voice, and be willing to make a change.

Jason Curlee said...

Great example Adam as well as point. I like to think of it as a guide to help me focus on what to hear from God.

Anonymous said...

"...one of the first challenges is that some people get stuck on in developing a one year plan is that they feel it takes God out of the equation."

Dude you are so right on. I have often heard AND seen pastors who put their bibles aside and forget about the time because they believe that focusing on the content and context of scripture is antithetical to "letting the spirit lead." They forget that the spirit who leads the moment is the same spirit that leads when you sit down and lay out a plan. I could go on and on about this, but you know what I am talking about.

chris
church of grace

Jason Curlee said...

"They forget that the spirit who leads the moment is the same spirit that leads when you sit down and lay out a plan."

The one and the same...great addition Chris.