Monday, March 10, 2008

The Madness Of Ministry 1

With one of my favorite times of the year looming on us, that being March Madness, I thought it would be pertinent this week to talk a little about some of the pressures of ministry. (For those that live under a rock, March Madness is the college basketball playoff time.)

I'm not sure if I'm the only one or this applies to everyone else that reads, but I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself to produce when it comes to ministry. I feel what we have is the greatest product/message in the world. On top of that is what Christ did for me in my life. Jumble all that together with my personality and what you got is this mad rush to do the absolute best that I can to represent and spread this message across our community and the world.

Let me give you, as an example an average week when I was a youth pastor. Now I have to preface this by saying I never let not having a budget stand in my way of doing something.

Weekly Basis:
  • Prepare A Message
  • Develop or Find Creative Elements For Message - Example 1
  • Edit Video For Video Announcements
  • Create PowerPoint For Message
  • Create Note Handouts For Students
  • Invites Weekly through Myspace, Text Message, E-mails
  • Send Out A Weekly E-Mail Newsletter To Students/Parents
  • Record Talk Show Podcast
  • Edit Podcast And Upload
  • Pray, Read, Study
  • Prepare For Sunday School - The Pastor felt I should do one each Sunday even though I thought it was an area to get leaders involved.
On A Monthly Basis:
  • Create Series Graphics, Marketing Materials For Students
  • Create A Monthly Pre-Service/Promo Video...we changed it every month for variety...it included announcement slides, countdown, and then a monthly promo video
  • Create A Series Promo Video
  • Upload Files To Internet
  • Contact Students
  • Visioneer
  • Prep, Prepare Leadership Lesson, Have Leadership Meeting
  • Recruit Leaders, Prep Existing Leaders, Check On Tasks Assigned
Should I even go into more? This is not even an exhaustive list.

Needless to say I put a lot of pressure on myself to do things well even when we had no budget. I have always been the type to produce something from nothing.

In the coming days, we are going to talk about time management, leading people, leading with everyone looking at you, and just the pressure in general. I hope you jump in the conversation with some comments on the madness you may feel there is, as well as some of the solutions.

What are some of the pressures you have in ministry???

Don't miss any part of this series:
To not miss any of our helpful posts - make sure you subscribe to our feed.

No comments: