Thursday, November 15, 2007

Journey Through John Day #8 (John 8)

Read - John 8

My Key Verse - John 8:15-16 You decide according to what you can see and touch. I don't make judgments like that. But even if I did, my judgment would be true because I wouldn't make it out of the narrowness of my experience but in the largeness of the One who sent me, the Father.

My Reflection - How often do we relate to God or even others based on our experiences? How often do pastors teach out of their experiences? What about our theology? Our spirituality?

I remember in my first position as a youth pastor that as I growing as a Christian was how I was relating in my pastoralship. We were passionate about God and loved praise and worship, so each week we would sing about 1 hour. We would go deep. It was totally awesome. God's Spirit was so real. He was moving in my life. And then I looked up and saw that more than half of our teens couldn't relate. I was relating God to them through the narrowness of my experience.

I'm not saying that was bad, but often we can get caught up in creating a picture of God based on what we experience. God on the other hand is so much bigger and can do things that always blow us away.

My Prayer - Lord help me to relate to others based on the awesomeness that you are. Help me to keep a fresh perspective and not box you into the narrowness of my experience with you.

No comments: