Saturday, November 10, 2007

Journey Through John Day #3 (John 3)


Read - John 3

My Key Verse - John 3:26 They came to John and said, "Rabbi, you know the one who was with you on the other side of the Jordan? The one you authorized with your witness? Well, he's now competing with us. He's baptizing, too, and everyone's going to him instead of us."

My Reflection - How many times have I seen churches that are just like John's followers? They see another church having success and they get jealous. There is always this sense that each of us as churches has all the answers. That we have God's favor and everyone else should be on board with us. I used to be just like this. I felt there should be only one church in one town and every Christian should be there. I've since come to understand that God is a diverse God and uses people in unique ways. What we must be careful of, is not allowing jealousy to creep in when God is using others. When God does use others it doesn't mean His favor is on us any less. We live in a fractured and broken society and it is going to take churches and pastors realizing that we all have the same goal but don't always need the same game plan to win. By that I mean that the message and mission are truly the same...it is the methods and strategies that will change as God uses us uniquely to fulfill His design.

My Prayer - God use me to reach the lost and fulfill your calling on my life. Help me to celebrate the diversity you have placed in your body and celebrate the success others are having. Do not allow jealousy to creep into my life as I see others fulfilling the calling you have. Help me to stay focused on the task you have designed for my life and allow me to partner with others to reach this world.

No comments: