Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A New Thing Under The Sun

Could there possibly be ways of doing things that are new?

I say that because I was listening to Rick Warren's Pastors Podcast which I may add is an excellent podcast to listen to if you are involved in any area of ministry.

This past week he had Erwin McManus on it and it was terrific. The top was Creating A Culture of Innovation.

During the podcast they brought up the scripture...there is nothing new under the sun.

I had been guilty of using this statement often. For the past two days I have been coming back to it over and over. I have to say that I really disagree how we use that one today. We use it in a way to blow off pushing forward and being innovative.

There are new and innovative ways of doing things. I even think there are new and innovative ways of doing church that haven't been done yet.

Often times we stay stuck in the past and try to stay rooted in past ways of doing church successfully. But all around us the landscape is changing. Our culture is changing. Often times I think church just tries to stand still.

Think about it. The church of today really is a church that is modeled in the 1900's. And yet we fight fiercely to keep it saying it is the only way to do it.

Much of today's present church and how people are doing it is really is the same thing they have being doing for about 50 years or so.

That being said I think God that the message of Jesus Christ will always and surely stand the test of time and is the one thing that should never change. But I believe there are new and innovative methods that will help propel that message in today's culture.

No comments: