Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Center of It All

I am still reading Off-Road Disciplines: Spiritual Adventures of Missional Leaders by Earl Creps. After about reading eight chapters the one thing that really stood out to me is that today's church is really set up with the pastor being the center of everything.

And the truth is from a lot of churches I see across America I really feel a lot of Pastor's like it that way or they don't know how to break that trend. I'm sure it can be quite an ego feed for them.

This is probably why I work so hard at it not being that way in our ministry. I don't want our teens or young adults to have this super-reliance on me and I don't want to feed into that type of system.

Two things I strive for are:

1) Push them to be responsible for their own growth and relationship with God.

2) Get our team involved in every way possible to put them in the spotlight.

A third way which we are implementing in small ways is to:

3) Have small groups led by team members.

No comments: