Thursday, June 05, 2008

I Can't Handle It

Over the past year I have been struggling with a statement that I have heard over and over. On the surface this statement sounds great. It is comforting. It makes us feel good.

Now I am actually questioning the accuracy and validity of it. Is it even biblical?
I actually heard it said this past week. The statement?

God never gives us more than we can handle.

As I said, this statement sounds good, but I really have begun to challenge it. Partly, I would say that this comes from my experience. It also hasn’t been something I just came up with overnight either.

Over the past year I can actually say that I don’t know how I handled the year. The pressure and stress were almost too much to handle. Some people would say, “See, I told you God wouldn’t give you more than you could handle.”

In some upcoming posts I hope to dive into this thought a little bit but would love to get your feedback.

What do you think? Does God only give you what you can handle?

4 comments:

Storme said...

I'm pretty sure people are getting this from 1 Corinthians 10:13, which says "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." So... he's talking about being tempted. I think it really depends on how we define the word bear or how we define what it is exactly we can handle. It says God always provides a way out. I guess if we take the way out He has provided things will be a lot more bearable.

Anonymous said...

I think we don't have a real grasp on the verse that says God won't give us more than we can handle. Of course God is going to give us more than we can handle or we wouldn't need Him. God gives us things we can't handle all the time we have to make the decision to let Him bear the weight and handle it for us or bear it ourselves. Signs we can't handle ourselves but try would include stress, heart problems, going gray.

Jason Curlee said...

Storme - i would agree with your assessment on that Scripture....when it deals with temptation.

I hear this statement though when it comes to general life...as in other areas not related to sin.

For example...I'm currently a principal and a campus pastor...this is not temptation...

I feel it more falls in with the scripture that says "if you are faithful in the small things". God gives me a load that stretches me and if I'm faithful and adjust He adds a little more and a little more.

Jason Curlee said...

Ben - great addition...I thought going gray meant I'm finally getting wisdom....I'm in real trouble now....LOL