Monday, November 05, 2007

Do They Even Care What You Know?

Today's guest post is by Tyler Madison. Tyler is a middle school computer teacher, who is also the youth director at Northridge Assembly of God in Grand Island, Nebraska. He has a great interest in developing people and young people especially. Tyler has some great inspiring thoughts you can read on his blog at realyouthoughts.blogspot.com

Have you ever taken a moment to think about whether the people whose lives you are trying to impact even care what you have to say? Many of us get so concerned with what we are trying to get across, that we can forget about the actual people. I often catch myself focusing more on the content than the person.

This blog is called Making Difference Makers, and if that is what we plan on doing, we need to watch where our focus is.

I can tell you, in my main area of ministry, I will lose my kids, if they aren't made aware of how important they are to me. We've all heard it before, but it's worth repeating: They won't care what you know, until they know that you care.

As you go throughout you next few days, be purposeful about letting the people's lives you are trying to impact know how important they are to you. Don't give up your influence by neglecting to share that you care.

Tyler Madison
http://realyouthoughts.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Jarrod Martin said...

I just finished reading Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus, and this idea is central to an entire section of his book. He says that in our culture that is completely undergirded by a strong belief in relativism, people must trust you before they believe you. In other words, trust is the truth to the younger generation. The only truth they know comes from the most trusted people in their lives, be it their friends, a famous musician, or a favorite author.

Tyler said...

Hey Jarrod, I loved that book. It could be because it is so real to me in what I do. Stop by over at realyouthoughts, and share your thoughts some time.