Friday, March 23, 2007

A Little Risky

Take a freakin' risk.

Well, when I first heard that it wasn't with the word freakin' but it stood out vividly in my mind.

I was at a pool in Houston and they had a high diving platform. I had never been off one before and to be honest I was a little hesitant. Although I feel I had always been a natural risk taker this would be huge.

I was in the 8th grade and knew enough that if I landed wrong from that height it would hurt. So I did it and survived. It was awesome.

Since then I have been a natural risk taker. I haven't met a roller coaster I hadn't liked. I have done the giant swings that make you feel like your skydiving at theme parks.

Only thing I haven't done yet is skydive and bungy jump.

But what happens to people when they become Christians. All of the sudden it seems like they are purified and petrified. They no longer take risks. Churches don't take risks.

I remember being a part of this church that was always scared to take a risk. Because they felt like they might offend someone they really never did anything.

And when someone did do something a little risky we always got our hands slapped from this spiritual side of the equation.

Folks it's time to be a little risky. Pastors it's time to be a little risky. Churches it's time to be a little risky.

There needs to be a little more adventure in church. I can be the worst about this. I have to have everything so programmed that it sometimes takes out the adventure of not knowing.

Anais Nin said, "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

It's time we blossom. It's time we came out of the "closet". It's time to be a little (or a lot more) risky.

3 comments:

Tristie Fischer said...

Risky is right! Maybe those that don't follow Christ would see that we still have a pulse! Here's a risk... take some of that church budget, buy 1,000 pair of socks and roam around the inner-city for an evening passing them out to the homeless. Touch them. Pray with them. Look them in the eye and admit we have no answers... but we have a God that is bigger than all of us. What are the things we say churches should NEVER do? Maybe it's time we do them.

Jason Curlee said...

Great comment Gina...a couple of youth and I did that one night sort of...we (my wife, some youth, and I) went in and did a drive with the salvation army in the absolute cold of winter and fed the homeless...AMEN

Tyler said...

I stole your post idea. The thought really hit home with me, so I shared my version of it, and the way I feel about taking risks. Hope you don't mind.