Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Leading As A Team

I really liked Tony Morgan's take-away from the book "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It"

Two things that stood out from his post are:
"The people who are exceptionally good in business aren't so because of what they know but because of their insatiable need to know more."

"Most businesses are operated according to what the owner wants as opposed to what the business needs."
These are two things that I am very passionate about these days. Personal development is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself and for the people you lead. All this month I have been doing a video series here and the topic of the whole month is on Developing Yourself As A Leader.

The quote from the book that Tony gave is true to ministry as well. People and churches who are exceptionally good are so because of their desire to know more about new and innovative ways to be better. They do just settle for being good they settle on being great.

I have also been thinking and seeing the need for churches to go to more of a team approach to ministry. I think that is why I love the new book by Dave Ferguson, "The BIG IDEA", so much. It rings so true to the core of my conviction of doing church as a team. And by that I don't mean department head leads and then everyone else as a team doing what the department head desires. Now I'm not trying to down play the role of a department head at all. I believe there should be someone to be the main vision steerer of the organization. But you can multiply your effectiveness as a pastor and department head by implementing a team approach to ministry. Sometimes the people around you are filled with ideas and good ways of doing things.

Some of my best ideas have been made better by the great team that I have surrounded myself with. Not only that but they have given some great ideas that we have tweaked and made better as well. And all of that has been driven by what the ministry needs.

No comments: