Thursday, October 19, 2006

Would I Live With My Mom For That

I was at the mall today and I saw this book called Freakonomics.




It had some pretty interesting chapters in it. The chapter I read while I was there was called "Why do drug dealers live with their Moms?" It was about a sociology study a guy did on a gang that in the end showed how the gang was economically structured like a business.

I thought it was a great chapter and one thing stuck out to me...the lower level drug dealers that were structured in the gangs made roughly $3.30 per hour. (That was the reason they lived with mom...how much they were paid.) My thought was that these kids line up with the thought they are going to get rich and are so passionate about what they do especially in light of the study that there was a 1 in 4 chance they would die.

I wonder what the world would be like if we had that much passion about what we believe in.

No comments: